Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
KP

KP

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Artificial Reef - Mustang Island - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Artificial Reef - Mustang Island   Artificial Reef - Mustang Island - Page 5 EmptyWed Dec 12, 2007 12:07 pm

Hi there! I see this is a bit old but wanted to reply anyway. I am a member of the Surfrider Foundation and just recently went to a training session with the natl. folk down in SPI. The artificial reefs were discussed and as far as they (natl) are concerned, the results are blown out of proportion and the reefs do not work like they are supposed to. We would love to speak with the company but they are based out of New Zealand and haven't respoded to us yet. I personaly feel that I would like more non-biased info from others and not the company trying to sell me something.
Back to top Go down
Coastal Ben

Coastal Ben

Number of posts : 813
Registration date : 2007-03-29

PostSubject: Re: Artificial Reef - Mustang Island   Artificial Reef - Mustang Island - Page 5 EmptyThu Dec 13, 2007 6:17 am

KP,

John Hancock ( Quadfin )in SPI is meeting with the president of ASR America's on or about Jan 29 2008. His name is John Hearin.

He and I are to meet with Jerry Patterson Commissioner of the GLO, Dale Shivley Director of the Texas Artificial Reefs Program , Juan Garcia State Representative for The Corpus area, and the Corp. Of Engineers on Monday the 28th of January in Austin.

You are misinformed about the performance of the reefs. There are two functioning reefs. One in Australia and one in New Zeeland.

Check www.spacecoastreef.com

Coastal Ben
Back to top Go down
https://s577.photobucket.com/albums/ss217/rutledgeben/?action=tag
Coastal Ben

Coastal Ben

PostSubject: Re: Artificial Reef - Mustang Island   Artificial Reef - Mustang Island - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 01, 2008 8:37 am

On January 28, 2008 a meeting is to be held in Austin. Attendee's include
Jerry Patterson, Commissioner of the GLO Texas. Dale Schivley, Director of the Texas Parks and Wildlife Artifical Reefs program , Juan Garcia State Reprensentative , John Hearin of ASR and Myself. We hope to acquire approvals to receive funding for the feasibility study. And preliminary approvals for construction materials and methods.

On January 29 a Stake Holders Meeting will be Held at the University of Texas Marine Sciences Center in Port Aransas at 630 pm. The public is welcome to attend. Other Attendees Include Judge LLoyd Neal, Chuck Cavales Nueces County Commissioner, Irma Caballero Director of Ecomomic Development Nueces County. Port Aransas Mayor Claude Brown, Cliff Schalbach and Julie Doyle of the TGSA, Neal McQueen Surfriders, John Blaha Director of the Texas CCA.

All Business owners are encouraged to attend and receive a detailed presentative and participate in a discussion regarding the reef and its ecological and economical impacts for our area.

CB
Back to top Go down
Coastal Ben

Coastal Ben

PostSubject: Reef Article Corpus Caller Times   Artificial Reef - Mustang Island - Page 5 EmptyThu Feb 07, 2008 6:14 am

Back to top Go down
Rusty

Rusty

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2007-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Artificial Reef - Mustang Island   Artificial Reef - Mustang Island - Page 5 EmptyTue Apr 01, 2008 10:34 am

Coastal Ben wrote:

On January 28, 2008 a meeting is to be held in Austin. Attendee's include
Jerry Patterson, Commissioner of the GLO Texas. Dale Schivley, Director of the Texas Parks and Wildlife Artifical Reefs program , Juan Garcia State Reprensentative , John Hearin of ASR and Myself. We hope to acquire approvals to receive funding for the feasibility study. And preliminary approvals for construction materials and methods.

On January 29 a Stake Holders Meeting will be Held at the University of Texas Marine Sciences Center in Port Aransas at 630 pm. The public is welcome to attend. Other Attendees Include Judge LLoyd Neal, Chuck Cavales Nueces County Commissioner, Irma Caballero Director of Ecomomic Development Nueces County. Port Aransas Mayor Claude Brown, Cliff Schalbach and Julie Doyle of the TGSA, Neal McQueen Surfriders, John Blaha Director of the Texas CCA.

Hey Ben,

Any update on the events mentioned above?
Back to top Go down
http://www.beachcruisershop.com
maddsurf82

maddsurf82

Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2007-08-14

PostSubject: Re: Artificial Reef - Mustang Island   Artificial Reef - Mustang Island - Page 5 EmptyThu Apr 03, 2008 6:44 am

someone should ask president bush to help us
Back to top Go down
Coastal Ben

Coastal Ben

PostSubject: Update   Artificial Reef - Mustang Island - Page 5 EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 6:25 am

Hello Everyone

Here is the latest on the reef project.

On March 31st I gave a presentation to the Surf Riders Foundation of the Coastal Bend at Texas a & M University Corpus Christi. Also present were a number of Nueces County officials and some of the Marine Sciences faculty members.

After review I believe many of the concerns from Surf Riders were removed. The group who saw the presentation as a whole was very supportive.

What we plan next.

A. A committee is to be formed with members to include individuals from Nueces County, The City of Corpus, Texas Parks and Wildlife, The General Land Office of Texas, The Corp of Engineers, Surf Riders and Myself.

B. We are to open a trust (this bank account will require two signatures for transactions and funds can be used only for the project.)

C. We will then lobby the various financial contributors for the project to donate funds to the trust (Mustang Island Reef Project Trust).

D. We will conduct a site survey and site study. We will contract ASR to supply instrumentation to gather data for a proposed period of one year.
(We want to get as much up to date data so ASR can model the very best reef design).

E. The data will be collected and analyzed by a third partyand ASR. The University of Texas Marine Sciences Center, or Texas A & M marine Sciences Center.

F. If the data determines that a artificial reef could be successful in improving the quality and length of surf able waves in our area, provide and new eco system, we will then make application to aquire funds for construction. Estimated date July or August 2009.

This process is lengthy; we could do a shorter study. But I want the reef to have the best chance of success and that means a comprehensive study. I feel in the end we will have a unique attraction to our area. That can be enjoyed for many years by many people!

CB
Back to top Go down
Rusty

Rusty

PostSubject: Re: Artificial Reef - Mustang Island   Artificial Reef - Mustang Island - Page 5 EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 9:01 am

Outstanding job, Ben! Keep up the good work. All the surfers in San Antonio are rooting for you. bounce
Back to top Go down
PORT A SURF COMPANY

Number of posts : 1658

PostSubject: excellent   Artificial Reef - Mustang Island - Page 5 EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 2:22 pm

thanks to all that have been involved with the meetings and project.

i hope it is a good thing for all involved .
Back to top Go down
Coastal Ben

Coastal Ben

PostSubject: Re: Artificial Reef - Mustang Island   Artificial Reef - Mustang Island - Page 5 EmptyFri Aug 15, 2008 12:02 pm

City Council Presentation coming up in Sept. I will post up dates asap

CB
Back to top Go down
port a surf co eye candy

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Artificial Reef - Mustang Island   Artificial Reef - Mustang Island - Page 5 EmptyTue Aug 26, 2008 6:59 pm

Very Happy sounds great hope it goes through it would make people think twice about texas surfing and defiantly boost the eco.
Back to top Go down
Coastal Ben

Coastal Ben

PostSubject: Re: Artificial Reef - Mustang Island   Artificial Reef - Mustang Island - Page 5 EmptyWed Aug 27, 2008 5:49 am

port a surf co eye candy wrote:
Very Happy sounds great hope it goes through it would make people think twice about texas surfing and defiantly boost the eco.

We had a four month period that basically the project was on hold for all intents and purposes. BUT the last three weeks have been productive and I have actually communicated directly with the Grants Approval Administrator for the GLO Texas, Melissa Porter. She advised me the project is eligible for two different kinds of newly created funding. We are submitting application for monies in Sept for the feasibility study and next once that data is anaylzed, a design , and estimate of cost to construct. We will then make application for those monies.

Location is still a subject of debate .

CB
Back to top Go down
Rusty

Rusty

PostSubject: Re: Artificial Reef - Mustang Island   Artificial Reef - Mustang Island - Page 5 EmptyWed Sep 17, 2008 8:09 am

Ben,

Take a look at all the pictures from Crystal Beach and Gilchrist just north of Galveston. Now, compare those to the pictures in New Zealand where the sand has returned because of the artificial reef project. I read a story today about how the county that Galveston is in might re-think allowing infrastructure to be established outside of the seawall area. The common thinking is that they might consider it on a basis of 60 feet back for every 1 foot of erosion. An artificial reef would mitigate the need for this retreat from the beach front.

Looks to me like an artificial reef project on Padre Island might be the thing needed to test the erosion factor. Other parts of the Gulf Coast could then take these lessons learned and build artificial reefs in their neck of the woods. For Galveston and the beaches north and south, this would allow reconstruction of areas that aren't behind the seawall.
Back to top Go down
Coastal Ben

Coastal Ben

PostSubject: Re: Artificial Reef - Mustang Island   Artificial Reef - Mustang Island - Page 5 EmptyFri Sep 19, 2008 8:02 am

Rusty,

There has been an increased expression of interest in the project as of late. John Hearin and I are to meet with Mike McCutcheon at 830am on the 14th of October and then go before the CC City Council at 10am on that same day.

Nueces county is to receive a couple of Million Dollars for Coastal Improvements and Protection. The city of CC can apply for monies to protect beaches within its incorporated limits. ( I.E the seawall area). Which now needs some work for sure.

We could see a reef in place within the next 12-18 Months. I will post up after the October Meeting.

CB
Back to top Go down
Ruark

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2009-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Artificial Reef - Mustang Island   Artificial Reef - Mustang Island - Page 5 EmptyFri Jan 16, 2009 7:05 am

CB, any updates? I know most of the readers here are focused on surfing, but there are a HUGE HUGE number of non-surfing Texans for whom the PA beaches are a very special, treasured place. Anything that protects them (e.g. a reef alleviating erosion) would be an extremely important issue. Just look at the hordes of people who travel down to PA for the annual beach clean-up, for example. There's a lot of potential support out there, especially if the benefits extend out of MISP.

Ruark
Back to top Go down
Coastal Ben

Coastal Ben

PostSubject: Re: Artificial Reef - Mustang Island   Artificial Reef - Mustang Island - Page 5 EmptyFri Jan 16, 2009 7:58 am

Ruark,

I just spoke to Corpus City Councilman Mike McCutcheon yesterday. He has opened a door for us to give a presentation to the city council.

This is to be Feb 23rd. We are to meet with Nueces County that week as well. All this to lead to a final meeting with the GLO.

The CEAP monies have been relegated to the county and we are ready to move to the study phase.

CB
Back to top Go down
coastal_soul

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Artificial Reef - Mustang Island   Artificial Reef - Mustang Island - Page 5 EmptySat Jan 17, 2009 1:41 am

Its a great idea. I bet we can come to a compromise that will benefit everyone. I'm gonna start doing some research, so I can be up to speed since this the first I have heard of the plan. I interested in getting involved if there is anything I can do.
Back to top Go down
jswsublime

jswsublime

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2007-06-06

PostSubject: Re: Artificial Reef - Mustang Island   Artificial Reef - Mustang Island - Page 5 EmptyTue Dec 29, 2009 12:15 am

Wow, almost a year and no talk about this project....slow economy, I reckon.
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
Coastal Ben

Coastal Ben

PostSubject: Update   Artificial Reef - Mustang Island - Page 5 EmptyWed Dec 30, 2009 6:38 am

Due to IKE .. most of the GLO funds are going to rebuild Surfside and Boliver. The Surfside project includes an ASR. So for now we are in a holding pattern. There is a meeting scheduled for Jan 16th 2010. I'll post up more onformation then.

CB
Back to top Go down
Waterkid

Waterkid

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Artificial Reef - Mustang Island   Artificial Reef - Mustang Island - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 03, 2010 7:48 am

The first link is about an erosion control reef. It is experimental, and claims to be removable if it doesn't work.

http://www.spislandbreeze.com/articles/padre-7715-south-island.html

The second link is about dredging the SPI channel and placing the sand on the beach, which will be close to the above mentioned reef.

http://www.spislandbreeze.com/articles/padre-1546-beaches-south.html

The two efforts together may result in a stable tourist beach for many years in the future. Something apparently needed there and it may be a good thing. However, it doesn't seem like you can fairly evaluate the effectiveness of the first experimental item, once it has been combined and convoluted with the second item.

Just something to be aware of.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Artificial Reef - Mustang Island   Artificial Reef - Mustang Island - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Artificial Reef - Mustang Island
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
www.PortASurfCo.com :: Community-
Jump to: