www.PortASurfCo.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
www.PortASurfCo.com

online Texas surfing community

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Ordering a surfboard online??

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
c-mac

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-02-27

Ordering a surfboard online?? Empty
PostSubject: Ordering a surfboard online??   Ordering a surfboard online?? EmptyFri Mar 07, 2008 2:59 pm

i am in the market for a new board, and have been trying to put in some research before i make my decision.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience ordering a board online. I have been looking at the aftermath site and checking out ebay and some other sites, but i am skeptical about buying a board online before ever physically touching the rails or anything.

let me know if anybody has ever bought a board online. What was the process like and were you happy with the results.

thanks for the help
Back to top Go down
PORT A SURF COMPANY

Number of posts : 1658
Registration date : 2007-03-29

PostSubject: I TOTALY GET IT..I AGREE..ITS HARD TO DO..   Ordering a surfboard online?? EmptyFri Mar 07, 2008 3:25 pm

c-mac wrote:
i am in the market for a new board, and have been trying to put in some research before i make my decision.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience ordering a board online. I have been looking at the aftermath site and checking out ebay and some other sites, but i am skeptical about buying a board online before ever physically touching the rails or anything.

let me know if anybody has ever bought a board online. What was the process like and were you happy with the results.

thanks for the help

NOTHING LIKE FEELING THE BOARD..AND SEEING THE BOARD...

YOU CANT SEE THE BLIMISHES , IF THEY ARE THER...ALSO HOW LIGHT OR HEAVY THE BOARD IS..LOG,COLOR>? ALL MAY VARY FROM AN ONLINE PICTURE...

NOT TO SAY DONT DO IT..BUT,,IN A WAY ITS A LITTLE TUFF..

PLUS..IF THE BOARD IS SHIPPED TO YOU..THERE IS A RISK OF DAMAGING THE BOARD..

WE ARE SET UP TO SELL BOARDS AND SHIP THEM HERE...BUT THERE IS ALWAYS THE RISK OF THE SHIPPING COMPANY MISHANDLING THE BOARD.

NOTHING LIKE BUYING THE BOARD IN A BEACH TOWN AND GETTING TO USE IT!!!!!!!! rabbit
Back to top Go down
The Boy Nags

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2007-11-21

PostSubject: Re: Ordering a surfboard online??   Ordering a surfboard online?? EmptySat Mar 08, 2008 1:11 pm

Hi,

I have brought a board online, and while I am very happy with it, the board I was expecting was not what turned up. It is really difficult to get a good idea of the board from the web site, and although I chatted to the shaper on email, like I said we oblivously we didn't have the same vision of what we were talking about. I found the whole process frustrating and unsatisfactory. I would agree that there is nothing like seeing the board, lifting it up, looking down its lines etc. So in short I would not buy another board online.

Cheers
nags
Back to top Go down
oceanby5

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2008-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Ordering a surfboard online??   Ordering a surfboard online?? EmptySun Mar 09, 2008 7:23 am

Not to confuse the issue for you, but I had a great experience with buying my board over the phone with Steve Boehne @ Infinity. #1 key thing was that I was already set on basic board design/size, and, #2- who better to get more advice from than one of the best? #3- we went through every minute detail of construction and I ended up actually designing/coloring my own board. Steve and his group are the absolute best IMO, but there are plenty of other knowledgeable shapers out there.

All depends on how you approach your avocation.
Back to top Go down
PORT A SURF COMPANY

PostSubject: Re: Ordering a surfboard online??   Ordering a surfboard online?? EmptyMon Mar 10, 2008 5:04 am

oceanby5 wrote:
Not to confuse the issue for you, but I had a great experience with buying my board over the phone with Steve Boehne @ Infinity. #1 key thing was that I was already set on basic board design/size, and, #2- who better to get more advice from than one of the best? #3- we went through every minute detail of construction and I ended up actually designing/coloring my own board. Steve and his group are the absolute best IMO, but there are plenty of other knowledgeable shapers out there.

All depends on how you approach your avocation.

STEVE JUST SHAPED ME A BOARD AS WELL.
HE ALSO IS SHAPING AN OLD FRIEND OF MINE A BOARD, A GUY I HAVE KNOWN SINCE HIGH SCHOOL DAYS..

WE WILL HAVE INFINITY AVAILABLE THRU OUT SHOP HERE IN PORT A.

FOR THE MOMENT ITS SPECIAL ORDER..EXCEPT FOR ONE NEW BOARD FROM IINFINITY WE WILL HAVE IN STOCK...AS FOR NOW WE DONT HAVE SPACE FOR A NEW BATCH OF INFINITY BOARDS...
WE WILL HAVE ONE MODEL HERE IN THE SHOP AVAILABLE FOR SALE IN ABOUT TWO WEEKS..

GOOD POST SENIOR OCEANBY5!
Back to top Go down
c-mac

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Ordering a surfboard online??   Ordering a surfboard online?? EmptyMon Mar 10, 2008 3:52 pm

Good points all. Infinity is new to me. How do you guys like em?

I have rode everything from a 9'6" Robert August noserider, to a 5'10" Michael Barron and loved everything they had to offer. So basically I am torn on what I want.

I am thinking something in the like 6'2"-6'4" range. I am 6'0" and weigh about 210 pounds. I hate the feeling like i am sinking so i need a board with some float, something easy to get into waves with. A little wider with some nice rail. At the moment I have a 7' MDC, which has been a great board I just want something with a little more play in the tail, and a little more speed wouldnt hurt.

I feel like i can see the board i want but just cant translate it into something i can put my hands on.

If there is anybody out there riding something similar and loves it let me know.

maybe i suffer from buyers anxiety if there is such a thing?
Back to top Go down
PORT A SURF COMPANY

PostSubject: maybe test drive a firewire surfboard here in port a.?   Ordering a surfboard online?? EmptyMon Mar 10, 2008 11:19 pm

c-mac wrote:
Good points all. Infinity is new to me. How do you guys like em?

I have rode everything from a 9'6" Robert August noserider, to a 5'10" Michael Barron and loved everything they had to offer. So basically I am torn on what I want.

I am thinking something in the like 6'2"-6'4" range. I am 6'0" and weigh about 210 pounds. I hate the feeling like i am sinking so i need a board with some float, something easy to get into waves with. A little wider with some nice rail. At the moment I have a 7' MDC, which has been a great board I just want something with a little more play in the tail, and a little more speed wouldnt hurt.

I feel like i can see the board i want but just cant translate it into something i can put my hands on.

If there is anybody out there riding something similar and loves it let me know.

maybe i suffer from buyers anxiety if there is such a thing?
Back to top Go down
oceanby5

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2008-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Ordering a surfboard online??   Ordering a surfboard online?? EmptyTue Mar 11, 2008 6:32 am

Man, I have had more fun and more anxiety buying new boards - it's all part of the aura.

My .02 follows -

#1 Test drive a Firewire
#2 Look at cisurfboards.com (Al Merrick- Channel Islands)
Shortboards, longboards - he has more models out there than almost
anyone - and check out who his team riders are!
#3 Look at infinitysurf.com (Steve Boehne)
Like Al Merrick, Steve is one of the dinosaurs who shaped the industry
from the late 50's/early 60's- they are from California and yes, you
will hear people say they are not in tune with Gulf Coast Waves
(mainly intensely loyal locals). But they are, so check out their models
anyway and if you like their approach, call them on the phone with
your thoughts and ideas.
#4 Check out local Gulf Coast guys like SPD, Krokus, etc. - Chris can
maybe get you a contact with one or 2 Galveston ad SPI guys
#5 Test drive another Firewire

OR, my personal favorite -
#6- Forget all the above and go buy a 9' Magic Model by Steve Walden -
Doesn't matter whether fiberglass, Boardworks, or his new coating
company. Ride it for a year in as much varying surf as you can, and
you will have another whole new persepective on where you want to
go from there.

I love the short boards and the kids rip with them on the inside, but in the long run you will find that if you ride a little bit longer, straighter, thicker board on the Gulf Coast, you will paddle easier and catch more waves. I'm gonna get me a fat fish and a paddle board next, so you can see how confused I still am after 44 years. Good, good fun for a lifetime!!!!!!!!!

I know you will have some fun with this and remember--

The anxiety is REAL!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ordering a surfboard online??   Ordering a surfboard online?? Empty

Back to top Go down

Ordering a surfboard online??
Page 1 of 1