www.PortASurfCo.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
www.PortASurfCo.com

online Texas surfing community

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Ethics Of The Now Popular Trend

Go down 
+3
PORT A SURF COMPANY
Coastal Ben
justafloatin
7 posters
AuthorMessage
justafloatin

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2007-04-17

Ethics Of The Now Popular Trend Empty
PostSubject: Ethics Of The Now Popular Trend   Ethics Of The Now Popular Trend EmptyTue Apr 17, 2007 12:56 pm

Maybe a more educated person should post an ethics topic.
I myself know plenty through learning them first hand. But for those
who get un-motivated under pressure should at least get a little heads up for future reference. I am a local Port A surfer/resident. And i know the locals hate when the "new guys' paddle out breaking all of the rules. So hey lets fix the problem. Couldnt hurt anyone. Reply with a few ethical tips for surfing a crowded break. The "New Guys" would most likely appreciate it.Thanks.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Coastal Ben

Coastal Ben

Number of posts : 813
Registration date : 2007-03-29

PostSubject: Re: Ethics Of The Now Popular Trend   Ethics Of The Now Popular Trend EmptyTue Apr 17, 2007 1:19 pm

Tim,

I think you mean " Etiquette" not "Ethics"

CB

Good idea though !
Back to top Go down
https://s577.photobucket.com/albums/ss217/rutledgeben/?action=tag
PORT A SURF COMPANY

Number of posts : 1658

PostSubject: good idea   Ethics Of The Now Popular Trend EmptyFri Apr 20, 2007 9:20 am

im gonna have to think about this..as to how to phrase some ideas...as i dont want to offend anybody local or otherwise...

maybe someone has some good ideas and good words to share about this. alien
Back to top Go down
Coastal Ben

Coastal Ben

PostSubject: Re: Ethics Of The Now Popular Trend   Ethics Of The Now Popular Trend EmptySun Apr 22, 2007 11:15 am

This is a good topic.

I basically use the Golden Rule of Surfing. Treat others and conduct myself the way I would like others to conduct themselves and treat me.

Kinda like paying it forward!

Its not a really great feeling when you have just traveled half way accross creation to surf some far way exotic break and when you paddle out ya get heckled my some local. OR have some local drop in on ya when you are in perfect postion. OR get back in and your car has been jacked with.

So even if you have been surfing the same break for 10 years and you think ya own the place (which you do not, God does) it does not give you any special rights.

If someone is breaking all the rules, which I believe boils down to hogging waves and or dropping in on someone that is in better postion than they. IT still should not be reason for retaliation, all that will do is lower yourself to their level and harsh YOUR mellow...

Ya want to really get in their head, compliment them! Tell em, great floater or whatever. Most will think about that and the next wave pull out before they drop in on ya.

Not many people travel from out of state to surf Texas, but we should set an example of being hospitable ! Its good Karma and perhaps the next time you travel somewhere and you surf a break with some locals, they might be cool to you..

Coastal Ben
Back to top Go down
new_waverider

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2007-04-24

PostSubject: Re: Ethics Of The Now Popular Trend   Ethics Of The Now Popular Trend EmptyTue Apr 24, 2007 6:06 am

I have to agree with Coastal Ben...especially since I am relatively new at the great sport of surfing. My favorite place to surf locally is in Port A, even though I live just down the street from the new Packery Channel jetties. I like to surf Port A because the wave breaks a little smoother and cleaner there, but MOSTLY because it isn't very crowded and everyone there has always encouraged my attempts at starting such a physical sport at my age. At Packery, I'm always made to feel that I should just "get out of the water and get out of the way!" But really, I'm not that bad and am getting better every time I go out...:sunny
Back to top Go down
lukeisme09

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2007-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Ethics Of The Now Popular Trend   Ethics Of The Now Popular Trend EmptyTue Apr 24, 2007 7:54 am

most locals in Port Aransas tend to surf either north or south side of Horace Caldwell if the break is good. In that case if you are not a local and are just beginning to surf i would recommend to surf some where besides the pier. First of all it is dangerous for a beginner, and second of all if you go out there like you own the place and you don't live here you are most likely going to get hassled.

- Luke
Back to top Go down
Rusty

Rusty

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2007-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Ethics Of The Now Popular Trend   Ethics Of The Now Popular Trend EmptyTue Apr 24, 2007 8:09 am

I'm not the best surfer in the world but when I do go out I have a ton of fun. Because I'm not that great (and the pier scares the hell out of me) I have no problem working the waves just outside the main lineup near Horace Caldwell. I don't drop in on anyone and no one drops in on me. After a session the stoke remains and is shared by most.

Here's a lesson I learned just this weekend from a guy who came to visit his Dad this weekend. He's from Oceanside, CA. He says that the attitude that most Texans have is way more laid back than what he experiences in California. When he visits here he's amazed at the respect each person gives to the other.

Let's keep it that way.
Back to top Go down
http://www.beachcruisershop.com
PORT A SURF COMPANY

Number of posts : 1658

PostSubject: CHEERS TO BEN   Ethics Of The Now Popular Trend EmptyTue Apr 24, 2007 9:07 am

YES,,

TO KEEPING THINGS COOL...LETS CONTINUE WHAT COULD BE CALLED A TRADITION...THE TEXAS WAY!!

BEING FRIENDLY TO AS MANY AS WE CAN..

WE ARE ALL HERE TO ENJOY WHAT GOD HAS GIVEN US..

I HAVE LIVED HERE NOW FOR 3 YEARS...
I LOVE THE PIER...BUT IT SEEMS I AM MORE AND MORE DRAWN TO OTHER BREAKS DOWN THE BEACH..

IT SEEMS IT IS MORE PEACFUL FOR ME..
BESIDES..I WANT TO SPEND MORE TIME WITH MY BEGINNERS, MY KIDS..I HAVE NO BUSINESS TAKING MY CHILDREN DOWN NEAR THE PIER WHERE IT IS OFTEN CROWDED...I CHOOSE TO GO DOWN THE BEACH WEHRE I KNOW WE WILL NOT GET IN ANY ONES WAY..AND I KNOW THE SAFETY FACTOR IS BETTER FOR MY LITTLE ONES..
MY WIFE AND I HAVE 5 KIDS..AND AS THIS SPRING SUMMER PROGRESSES..I PERSONALLY WILL SPEND LESS AND LESS TIME AT THE PIER..AND MORE AND MORE TIME AT THE OPEN BEACH BREAKS...
FOR ME IT IS MORE CALMING WITH NO CROWDS...

FOR MY KIDS..I FEEL GOOD ABOUT THEM NOT TAKING SOMEONE ELSES BOARD INTHE HEAD...I CAN ALSO SPEND MORE TIME WITH THEM TEACHING THEM...

I HOPE THAT MORE FAMILIES AND CHILDREN GET INTO THE SPORT..AND ENJOPY THE STOKE..MANY OF US HAVE BEEN SURFING FOR MANY YEARS...AND I FOR ONE AM HERE TO PASS THE BATTON(Sp)..
NOW IS A PHASE IN MY LIFE TO SHARE WHAT I HAVE KNOWN AND LEARNED...PASS IT ON TO THE NEXT GENERATION AND SHARE THE STOKE...

I AM JUST THANKFUL TO BE HERE..THANKFUL TO BE ALIVE...
LETS GO SURF cheers
Back to top Go down
Rusty

Rusty

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2007-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Ethics Of The Now Popular Trend   Ethics Of The Now Popular Trend EmptyWed Apr 25, 2007 11:34 am

Amen Brother!!

I, too, have kids who are really getting into surfing and the open beach break is where the Tow Donkey (that's me) can have the room to maneuver. lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.beachcruisershop.com
new_waverider

PostSubject: Re: Ethics Of The Now Popular Trend   Ethics Of The Now Popular Trend EmptyWed Apr 25, 2007 3:36 pm

I also surf the beach break away from the pier and prefer the solitude to the crowd...it's relaxing for me and that way I stay out of everyone's way. So far everyone has been very stoked for me and encouraged me to continue progressing as I have. I LOVE THIS SPORT!
Back to top Go down
new_waverider

PostSubject: Re: Ethics Of The Now Popular Trend   Ethics Of The Now Popular Trend EmptyWed Apr 25, 2007 3:37 pm

I also surf the beach break away from the pier and prefer the solitude to the crowd...it's relaxing for me and that way I stay out of everyone's way. So far everyone has been very stoked for me and encouraged me to continue progressing as I have. I LOVE THIS SPORT!
Back to top Go down
gosrfn

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2007-04-21

PostSubject: new surfers   Ethics Of The Now Popular Trend EmptyTue May 08, 2007 6:09 pm

reading these post's leads me to belive that most people on this forum are new surfrs and that rocks!
Back to top Go down
Coastal Ben

Coastal Ben

PostSubject: Re: Ethics Of The Now Popular Trend   Ethics Of The Now Popular Trend EmptyWed May 09, 2007 4:35 am

Gosrfn,

Is it not just GREAT to see people taking up the life style. Because that is what they are doing. It is so good for the head and soul. A great family activity that the kids will love and most likely hand down to their next generation. Chris and I have been surfing since the mid 70's and we both have handed the coastal life to our kids and it is a excellent thing...

Those of you with kids, invite your kids friends to come..It is very contagious..

Coastal Ben
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ethics Of The Now Popular Trend   Ethics Of The Now Popular Trend Empty

Back to top Go down

Ethics Of The Now Popular Trend
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
www.PortASurfCo.com :: Community-
Jump to: