www.PortASurfCo.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
www.PortASurfCo.com

online Texas surfing community

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Tortuga Dunes Project/Surfrider Meeting

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
jcc

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2007-05-07

Tortuga Dunes Project/Surfrider Meeting Empty
PostSubject: Tortuga Dunes Project/Surfrider Meeting   Tortuga Dunes Project/Surfrider Meeting EmptyWed Jan 16, 2008 12:29 pm

Surfrider CBC has invited John Michael of Naismith Engineering to do a presentation on the Tortuga Dunes and Tortuga Harbor developments at our next meeting. If you are interested, Surfrider meetings are open to everyone with the next meeting scheduled for Monday, January 28th, at 7:15 pm in the Natural Resouces Center at Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi (first entrance to campus, first right into parking lot). We are trying to get a speaker on the proposed breakwaters/artificial surfing reefs for the February meeting. We'll keep you posted.
Back to top Go down
maddsurf82

maddsurf82

Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2007-08-14

PostSubject: Re: Tortuga Dunes Project/Surfrider Meeting   Tortuga Dunes Project/Surfrider Meeting EmptyThu Jan 17, 2008 4:14 pm

if that means better surf let me know how to vote on that
Back to top Go down
KP

KP

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Tortuga Dunes Project/Surfrider Meeting   Tortuga Dunes Project/Surfrider Meeting EmptyThu Jan 31, 2008 12:28 pm

It has nothing to do with better surf and everything to do with destroying more land. I feel that this development is a mistake as it butts up to some very PRISTINE wetlands. I have lived in CC since '82 and have never seen that area look as rich, diverse, and healthy as it does now. That will come to an end when the land movers get a hold of it. While I do applaud the use of swales to treat 80% of the stormwater I feel that even 20% flowing into those estuaries is going to kill it. Especially since we are talking about chemicals used to keep lawns nice and green since it will be a non-native grass. The swales will be native grasses which is a plus but the lawns will not be. The plan is to also mitigate several of the established dunes structures. Again, I feel this is a mistake and they will not be as stable as a natural, established dune system.
It all makes me very sad and ready to leave the area. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
PORT A SURF COMPANY

Number of posts : 1658
Registration date : 2007-03-29

PostSubject: yup i wish i would have beeb there   Tortuga Dunes Project/Surfrider Meeting EmptyThu Jan 31, 2008 3:04 pm

KP wrote:
It has nothing to do with better surf and everything to do with destroying more land. I feel that this development is a mistake as it butts up to some very PRISTINE wetlands. I have lived in CC since '82 and have never seen that area look as rich, diverse, and healthy as it does now. That will come to an end when the land movers get a hold of it. While I do applaud the use of swales to treat 80% of the stormwater I feel that even 20% flowing into those estuaries is going to kill it. Especially since we are talking about chemicals used to keep lawns nice and green since it will be a non-native grass. The swales will be native grasses which is a plus but the lawns will not be. The plan is to also mitigate several of the established dunes structures. Again, I feel this is a mistake and they will not be as stable as a natural, established dune system.
It all makes me very sad and ready to leave the area. Crying or Very sad

i wish i had been able to be at all the meetings...
it would be nice to be informed....being at those meetings can mean a lot...

kp,,,,please check your pm..i sent you a message..thanks

sorry i missed it/them
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tortuga Dunes Project/Surfrider Meeting   Tortuga Dunes Project/Surfrider Meeting Empty

Back to top Go down

Tortuga Dunes Project/Surfrider Meeting
Page 1 of 1