www.PortASurfCo.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
www.PortASurfCo.com

online Texas surfing community

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Best shape for carve/trim longboard

Go down 
+3
Rusty
PORT A SURF COMPANY
doorjmr
7 posters
AuthorMessage
doorjmr

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2008-09-08

Best shape for carve/trim longboard Empty
PostSubject: Best shape for carve/trim longboard   Best shape for carve/trim longboard EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 11:06 am

I'd like to hear opinions on longboard design. My buddy Kevin really likes his 9'4 Pearson Arrow because it glides, carves, and paddles really well--in large part because of its hefty weight. I like the idea of something like a 9'1 McTavish fireball, which is thick and light and should carve better, but glide and paddle worse. But what do I know. I'm an old school single fin egg carver, ready to go longboard. I'm 52 & 150# and I'll surf Texas exclusively with this board. Specs and rocker suggestions are welcome.
Back to top Go down
PORT A SURF COMPANY

Number of posts : 1658
Registration date : 2007-03-29

PostSubject: Re: Best shape for carve/trim longboard   Best shape for carve/trim longboard EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 11:19 am

doorjmr wrote:
I'd like to hear opinions on longboard design. My buddy Kevin really likes his 9'4 Pearson Arrow because it glides, carves, and paddles really well--in large part because of its hefty weight. I like the idea of something like a 9'1 McTavish fireball, which is thick and light and should carve better, but glide and paddle worse. But what do I know. I'm an old school single fin egg carver, ready to go longboard. I'm 52 & 150# and I'll surf Texas exclusively with this board. Specs and rocker suggestions are welcome.

open can of worms affraid

ill stay out of this one...very , very loaded question.
Back to top Go down
doorjmr

PostSubject: Re: Best shape for carve/trim longboard   Best shape for carve/trim longboard EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 11:26 am

Yeah, well. I'm just hoping a few people will talk pros and cons and hold off on the anti-Tuflite rampages. This 'local' surf shop sells stuff from all over. If I was still a kid, I'd get a Spindrift egg and live it all over again.
Back to top Go down
Rusty

Rusty

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2007-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Best shape for carve/trim longboard   Best shape for carve/trim longboard EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 11:50 am

Dude,

You only weigh 150 lbs. You can STILL ride the egg. But, for your size, I would consider a 8' fish.
Back to top Go down
http://www.beachcruisershop.com
dkurak

dkurak

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2007-06-24

PostSubject: Re: Best shape for carve/trim longboard   Best shape for carve/trim longboard EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 11:57 am

I have a 9'0" Robert August "What I Ride" that is a Tuflite board. I'm also about 150#, splitting my time between this and a short board, I liked the lighter weight feel of the Tuflite. As for gliding, paddling and wave-catching ability, I couldn't be happier with this board. It's definitely not as loose as some other longboards I've ridden, but I have a 6'0" fish for that, and I was mainly looking for something to cruise w/o losing much energy. If you're going to be traveling any with the board, Tuflite is the way to go as I can't seem to ding the thing. Now here's the real dilemna - do I go out and surf since it's obviously the only thing I'm thinking about now or do I get back to work...
Back to top Go down
http://www.laidbacksurf.com
doorjmr

PostSubject: Re: Best shape for carve/trim longboard   Best shape for carve/trim longboard EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 12:19 pm

Thanks for the comments so far. I'll probably end up with one short(er) and one long board, and a big fish makes sense for the short one. Right now I want to understand long boards and go buy one.

A tuflite does make sense for all the driving I do back and forth from Austin. Anybody else want to tell me what you ride and why?
Back to top Go down
Coastal Ben

Coastal Ben

Number of posts : 813

PostSubject: Re: Best shape for carve/trim longboard   Best shape for carve/trim longboard EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 12:24 pm

Ask Chris if you can ride his wave hog...Turns on a dime and accelerates very quickly. Easy Easy Paddle and extra wide tail for lift making is also easy to catch waves...

CB
Back to top Go down
https://s577.photobucket.com/albums/ss217/rutledgeben/?action=tag
doorjmr

PostSubject: Re: Best shape for carve/trim longboard   Best shape for carve/trim longboard EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 1:30 pm

Again, I appreciate the comments. Local opinion is great, when you can get it. Otherwise, those interested in the topic might try
http://www.surfing-waves.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2329

-Guy
Back to top Go down
oceanby5

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2008-02-08

PostSubject: Longboard Suggestion   Best shape for carve/trim longboard EmptyWed Nov 26, 2008 8:22 am

9' Walden Magic - shape/thickness is very well suited to our normal type waves.

Just a suggestion of something else to look at.
Back to top Go down
PORT A SURF COMPANY

PostSubject: good boards for your needs   Best shape for carve/trim longboard EmptyWed Nov 26, 2008 11:04 am

in stock

8'4'' robert august what i ride
8'6'' and bigger...wave hogs( VERY fast)

9/0'' walden magic model

sale on the robert august and the walden magic..

while they last...if you head this way over thanksgiving,,,now is a really good time to buy<<>>> on sale..

Last edited by PORT A SURF COMPANY on Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
PORT A SURF COMPANY

PostSubject: ok,,ill give my opninion to some extent   Best shape for carve/trim longboard EmptyWed Nov 26, 2008 11:11 am

i think you are looking for more of a

performance longboard.

my general opinion of performance(quicker turns, more speed, rides more like a shortboard than a traditional longboard)>> performance longboards typically(not always) are a little thinner,,have a narrower nose and tail, and they have more nose and tail rocker.>> they are designed to be more "loose" in the water and they are..

one of the best in the world today is firewire(epoxy)..we have them in stock and on sale
anderson longboards are hand made in california poly glass boards..we have at least 3 hplb's in stock...on sale...

i personally am fond of my anderson and the shop demo firewire..i want and like to feel the quicker turning boards...i need all the help i can get.
Back to top Go down
PORT A SURF COMPANY

PostSubject: one more major thing   Best shape for carve/trim longboard EmptyWed Nov 26, 2008 3:22 pm

surfboards and people...

its a personal thing..and one board works well for one person but not another...it has to do with our various body shapes/weight/ style...and what feels good.
Back to top Go down
doorjmr

PostSubject: The chosen board   Best shape for carve/trim longboard EmptyFri Dec 12, 2008 11:47 am

I'm real serious about the Anderson/Josh Farberow II 9'2" model that's in Port A Surf Co. Chris is holding it for me until Monday cheers . I'm thinking it will have both the turning and glide I want, and nose-riding too if I prove worthy. The rocker is nice and flat except for in the tail, which also has some vee. The squash is really wide. I've always ridden round tails, but then again I've never spent time on a long board. To me, the only wild card is the "pinched rails," which are said to help in full rail turns. That would be a very good thing, if true. I think they're close to 50/50, but I could be wrong.

Also, I'm not sure of any concave in the nose or whether it'll matter if it's flat instead. Last point is that it's traditional foam. Everybody let out half a cheer--seeing that it was made in California. albino

Last edited by doorjmr on Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:06 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : cleaned up version)
Back to top Go down
Rusty

Rusty

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2007-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Best shape for carve/trim longboard   Best shape for carve/trim longboard EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 9:36 am

By the way, kids read these posts. Keep it clean. Exclamation
Back to top Go down
http://www.beachcruisershop.com
gypsyseagod

gypsyseagod

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2007-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Best shape for carve/trim longboard   Best shape for carve/trim longboard EmptyTue Dec 16, 2008 5:38 am

i like the r.a. saber in 9'0 myself.it suits my style well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best shape for carve/trim longboard   Best shape for carve/trim longboard Empty

Back to top Go down

Best shape for carve/trim longboard
Page 1 of 1