www.PortASurfCo.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
www.PortASurfCo.com

online Texas surfing community

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Bodyboarding Texas

Go down 
+4
Coastal Ben
brightblue
KP
big island
8 posters
AuthorMessage
big island

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Bodyboarding Texas Empty
PostSubject: Bodyboarding Texas   Bodyboarding Texas EmptySun Oct 05, 2008 7:10 am

I'm new to Texas surfing but grew up on the big island of Hawaii in Kona. Since I left Hawaii in 1986 I have'nt gotten wet very much. I'm very excited about surfing again but have'nt found where to go yet. I live in New Braunfels now and can make it down for some swells. Anyway where do people sponge around here? Any shorebreak, reefs or is everything a sand breaks? Please help i'm dying to get wet this week. Aloha
Back to top Go down
KP

KP

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Bodyboarding Texas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bodyboarding Texas   Bodyboarding Texas EmptySun Oct 05, 2008 9:13 am

TX is all sand bottom. Coming from New Braunsfel (sorry my spelling sucks) I would say hit the corpus area. That means Bob Hall pier or Packery Channel. Port Aransas is also a spot but a lot of the time the wave lacks....oomph. Not to say I don't enjoy it. it's my home break and my favorite place to surf. The other 2 breaks are a bit more steep and pitchy. Not a whole lot of people around here are on body boards. Not like Hawaii! I spent the summer surfing in Kauai and there were tons of folks on body boards there as well as stand up paddle boards. Nothing to scare the crap out of you like a 12'board coming down the face of a head high wave!

Hope that was a little helpful!
Back to top Go down
big island

Bodyboarding Texas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bodyboarding Texas   Bodyboarding Texas EmptySun Oct 05, 2008 3:10 pm

Thanks man that was helpfull. Someone told me about a break called fish pass is that an allright place to sponge? anything is good for me now surf wise. Yea I grew up Hawaiian Surf Assn But i'm just glad to feel and see the ocean so i'm not very picky. I'm 41 now and i just want to be with mother nature and surf. Hows the crowd around here is it laid back or will the Hui of Texas come get me for surfing since i'm a (hoale) or non local. Anyway thanks for the help hopefully see ya in the water. Rory
Back to top Go down
brightblue

brightblue

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2008-06-25

Bodyboarding Texas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bodyboarding Texas   Bodyboarding Texas EmptyMon Oct 06, 2008 6:20 am

Hey Big Island - Welcome to Texas! You're not going to run into any "attitude" in the water, it's quite the opposite from HI and Cali -

I'm a transplant Nor-Cal resident and have nothing to say but good things about TX. Just remember it's not HI but it's saltwater and good brotherhood.

Peace!
Back to top Go down
http://www.surfline.com
KP

KP

Bodyboarding Texas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bodyboarding Texas   Bodyboarding Texas EmptyTue Oct 07, 2008 5:26 am

Fish pass is a break that is inside the state park on the island. It is silly to say but even though it's only 15 minutes from my house, I have never surfed there! I have heard great things about the wave though.

Yes the TX vibe around here for the most part is pretty low key. Folks won't get on you unless you are being jerky. No stink eye here! Suspect
Back to top Go down
Coastal Ben

Coastal Ben

Number of posts : 813
Registration date : 2007-03-29

Bodyboarding Texas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bodyboarding Texas   Bodyboarding Texas EmptyWed Oct 08, 2008 1:45 pm

The absolut best place to body board is Bob Hall Pier on the inside break

IF YOU HAVE A DEATH WISH ! affraid
Back to top Go down
https://s577.photobucket.com/albums/ss217/rutledgeben/?action=tag
KP

KP

Bodyboarding Texas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bodyboarding Texas   Bodyboarding Texas EmptyWed Oct 08, 2008 2:54 pm

<<<Just remember it's not HI but it's saltwater and good brotherhood.>>>

Ahem...I like to remind folks that there are sisters there too you know! There aren't a lot of us but we are there... queen
Back to top Go down
brightblue

brightblue

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2008-06-25

Bodyboarding Texas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bodyboarding Texas   Bodyboarding Texas EmptyThu Oct 09, 2008 5:03 am

Wasn't meant to offend..."brotherhood" is all encompassing...Brotherhood, Sisterhood, Humankind.........we're all kind!

Peace Out - afro
Back to top Go down
http://www.surfline.com
big island

Bodyboarding Texas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bodyboarding Texas   Bodyboarding Texas EmptyThu Oct 09, 2008 8:04 am

Bob hall peir sounds scary. Whats lurking around it? Anyway didn't get to get wet this week. I'm going to make it next week. all you people sound like a great bunch, kinda glad no hui around here. How about sharks in Texas? Do they live friendly or are they cruz close by in the water? When does the water temp go down and how cold does it get?
Back to top Go down
KP

KP

Bodyboarding Texas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bodyboarding Texas   Bodyboarding Texas EmptyThu Oct 09, 2008 11:19 am

Bob Hall is ok...no worries bro! Sharks are ok as well. They are there but have no interest in us. I was raised on this coast and in the water quite a bit and have never had an issue with them. That is not to say that bites don't occur. It is VERY uncommon though and they are usually nips and that is it.

Water starts cooling off as we get stronger and stronger fronts. At times the water can cool down to the 50's. Not sure of the exact times.

I know that you meant no offense by the "brotherhood" and that it is supposed to encompass all. Growing up female we have a different view on it though. At least I do. It has always felt very exclusive to me and I dislike that feeling. I know I live in a male dominated society and I hate being reminded of it. Again, I know you and others meant no offense and I am not judging the person. I just want to put it out there so that maybe some of you can see the chicas point of view as well. Hubby and I have this discussion all the time so please don't think I am upset or anything like that. Smile
Back to top Go down
torn.

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Bodyboarding Texas Empty
PostSubject: what do you mean?   Bodyboarding Texas EmptyThu Oct 09, 2008 11:56 am

Hey, what's the reason for the death wish comment regarding the inside break at Bob Hall Pier? Call me shortbus but I don't get it?
Back to top Go down
maddsurf82

maddsurf82

Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2007-08-14

Bodyboarding Texas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bodyboarding Texas   Bodyboarding Texas EmptyFri Oct 10, 2008 3:04 am

you can hear dolphins when inside the wave at bhall looks like wed therez going to be north east winds comin in i think that means tube rides possibly out there hopefully north east winds monday so yall hear the echos inside the wave like my fav cousin from austin says thats it ill act retarted Sleep
Back to top Go down
Coastal Ben

Coastal Ben

Number of posts : 813
Registration date : 2007-03-29

Bodyboarding Texas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bodyboarding Texas   Bodyboarding Texas EmptyFri Oct 10, 2008 6:08 am

torn. wrote:
Hey, what's the reason for the death wish comment regarding the inside break at Bob Hall Pier? Call me shortbus but I don't get it?

A. It really can pound when on !

B. It gets crowded and CrAzY !!!!!

C. Repeat A & B

Not many are going to go out of their way to jack with you, unless you provoke it..

Surf On !
Back to top Go down
https://s577.photobucket.com/albums/ss217/rutledgeben/?action=tag
SurfingtheIsland

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2007-11-06

Bodyboarding Texas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bodyboarding Texas   Bodyboarding Texas EmptyFri Oct 10, 2008 6:58 am

Bodyboarding Texas 51307
Bodyboarding Texas 51305

Somebody posted these bodyboard pics on magic seaweed awhile back. It is listed as bob hall pier, but looks like fish pass to me.

There is a lot of fun surf here in S.TX...welcome. Very Happy

http://surfingtheisland.com
Back to top Go down
http://www.SurfingtheIsland.com
torn.

Bodyboarding Texas Empty
PostSubject: I see...   Bodyboarding Texas EmptyFri Oct 10, 2008 7:05 am

Thanks Coastal Ben! Yeah, normally we are just up a ways from Bob Hall Pier along the sea wall. We may try a few different spots on our next trip.
Back to top Go down
big island

Bodyboarding Texas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bodyboarding Texas   Bodyboarding Texas EmptyFri Oct 10, 2008 7:12 am

After looking at those pics i got a little happy. Thats texas surf and close by thats sick!!!!! I didn't know it got hollow here, that kinda looks thick. Anyway thanks again for all the help sista's and bra's I WILL be in the water next week. I will be the only sponger around next week so say "what up" if you want. aloha
Back to top Go down
torn.

Bodyboarding Texas Empty
PostSubject: Bodyboarding Texas   Bodyboarding Texas EmptyFri Oct 10, 2008 8:56 am

Hey Big Island, there's going to be three spongers going to the bob hall pier area next Friday and Saturday and maybe for a quick session Sunday morning. Me and another guy used to surf but we're all pretty new to bodyboarding. Should be a fun time. Let me know when you're heading down. Send me a PM. Later
Back to top Go down
big island

Bodyboarding Texas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bodyboarding Texas   Bodyboarding Texas EmptyFri Oct 10, 2008 9:57 am

Hey Torn thanks for the envite i would love to but i have a v-ball doubles tourney in Austin. But i will be there early next week if anyone is comming out then.
Back to top Go down
SurfingtheIsland

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2007-11-06

Bodyboarding Texas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bodyboarding Texas   Bodyboarding Texas EmptyFri Oct 10, 2008 9:57 am

we do get some nice thick lipped waves here. hopefully you can be here when its on. Often before cold fronts come in the seas/winds will build greatly from the south/southeast and often right before the front, winds will go light and variable from the west with offshore conditions before the howling N/NE winds come in. Even w/out perfect conditions the jetties and piers help shape some sandbars that make for some thumpers.
Back to top Go down
http://www.SurfingtheIsland.com
KP

KP

Bodyboarding Texas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bodyboarding Texas   Bodyboarding Texas EmptyFri Oct 10, 2008 7:18 pm

Those pics are pretty gnarly! I think that is fish pass. That wind is howling off shore to! It's making me cold just looking at it! At least the crowd thins when it's cold Very Happy

I hope we get some good swell before the temps go down...I also hope I'm home for it! I don't think I've been "home" for like a month now... I'm not even on a surf trip! Mad

It can def thump here in TX. I have wrecked myself out pretty good more than once!
Back to top Go down
DaGriztx

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Bodyboarding Texas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bodyboarding Texas   Bodyboarding Texas EmptyTue Oct 14, 2008 6:44 am

Welcome to TX, Big Island. I'm based in San Antonio and hit the middle coast when it's on. I sponge, BS, and been looking at paipos as of late...pretty much ride alt. type surf craft. Middle to lower coast are the beachies to be...all beach break can be punchy and fun.
Sea-ya
Back to top Go down
big island

Bodyboarding Texas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bodyboarding Texas   Bodyboarding Texas EmptyTue Oct 14, 2008 6:58 am

What is paipo's is that a surf break? I'm heading out in the am with wife and dogs to catch some surf. I think fish pass is where i'm gonna go wed and thurs. I would like to car pool in the future from the metro area so if anyone interested send me a message. Hope everyone is gettin some good surf before it gets to cold. Peace
Back to top Go down
DaGriztx

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Bodyboarding Texas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bodyboarding Texas   Bodyboarding Texas EmptyWed Oct 15, 2008 7:29 am

No a paipo isn't a break...least not round here it's not. Check http://www.rodndtube.com/paipo/MyPaipoBoards.html for some knowledge...
Sea-ya
Back to top Go down
big island

Bodyboarding Texas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bodyboarding Texas   Bodyboarding Texas EmptyWed Oct 15, 2008 7:52 am

Duh, how did i forget that. Wow guess i'm loosing my memory the older i get.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Bodyboarding Texas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bodyboarding Texas   Bodyboarding Texas Empty

Back to top Go down

Bodyboarding Texas
Page 1 of 1